Jack on target for Arsenal for first time since May 2015 in 6-0 romp

Arsenal beat BATE Borisov 6-0  in the Europa League at a sparsely populated  Emirates Stadium tonight.

The Gunners had already qualified for the last 32 of the competition ahead of completing their Group H fixtures against the newly crowned Belarussian champions.

They romped to an easy win against a very poor BATE side.

Arsene Wenger made eleven changes to the team that started against Manchester United on Sunday, as he went in search of his 700th win all competitions as Arsenal manager.

Mohamed Elneny almost scored in the first two minutes. But his left-footed shot hit the base of the post.

It was skipper for the night Theo Walcott who set up the opener in the 11th minute.

He battled well on the edge of the penalty area, with the ball falling into the path of Mathieu Debuchy who rifled the ball into the net past keeper Denis Scherbitski.

It was Debuchy’s first competitive goal for Arsenal and his first since December 21st 2014.

It was also Arsenal’s 100th goal of the season in all competitions.

Scherbitski had to be quickly of his line ten minutes later racing outside of his penalty area to deny Welbeck wide on the left. First blocking Welbeck’s attempted cross/shot and then heading the ball out of play for a thrown in.

The keeper was being kept busy saving from one of his defenders and then denying Walcott from close range

Walcott then sent a free kick from the edge of the penalty area narrowly wide, after Jack Wilshere had been fouled.

Walcott wasn’t to be denied and doubled the lead in the 33rd minute.

Welbeck cut in from the left but overran the ball which was deflected away by a defender, but it fell perfectly into the path of  Walcott who found the net with a hard and low shot.

Walcott then had a goal bound shot cleared off the line as the Gunners went in search of more goals.

Scherbitski then tipped a left-footed shot from Wilshere over the crossbar for a corner.

But as with Walcott, Wilshere wasn’t to be denied. He beat Scherbitski with a left footed shot after incisive approach play by Walcott.

It was Wilshere’s first goal since netting against West Bromwich Albion in May 2015.

He was involved in Arsenal’s fourth goal five minutes into the second half. His defence splitting pass played in Walcott down the right and from the cross the unfortunate Polyakov turned the ball into his own net.

Scherbitski then denied Welbeck with the ball hitting the keeper in the face.

Arsenal were awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute when Walcott was tripped in the penalty area.

Olivier Giroud netted from the spot, but was made to re-take the kick because of encroachment.

The Frenchman made no mistake sat the second time of asking to make it five for Arsenal.

Giroud joins Cesc Fabregas as the joint-4th all-time top scorer for Arsenal in Europe (17 goals).

Stasevich forced David Ospina into a save as the clock went towards the final twenty minutes.

Wilshere then set up Elneny for Arsenal’s sixth goal. The Egyptian curling the ball into the net in the 74th minute.

Berezkin shot narrowly wide with five minutes remaining as BATE went in search of a consolation goal

Red Star Belgrade claimed second place in Group H, and qualification for the last 32, with a 1-0 win over FC Koln in Serbia.

The draw for the last 32 of the competition takes place on Monday.

Next up for Arsenal is a trip to St Mary’s to take on Southampton in the Premier League on Sunday.

Arsenal: Ospina 6, Debuchy 7, Maitland-Niles 6, Holding 6, Chambers 6, Elneny 6 (Willock), Coquelin 6, Wilshere 8, Walcott 7 (Nelson), Welbeck 7 (Nketiah), Giroud 7